°í´ë´º½º N
µû²öµû²öÇÑ Çг» ¼Ò½ÄÀ» ÀüÇÕ´Ï´Ù.
»õ·Î°íħ | ·Î±×ÀÎ
À͸í
GT | µî·ÏÀÏ : 2016-09-29 23:52:48 | ±Û¹øÈ£ : 8082 | 0
1913¸íÀÌ Àоú¾î¿ä ¸ð¹ÙÀÏÈ­¸é URL º¹»ç
A UNESCO Medal in the Field of Nanoience—KU Professor Jin Jung-Il

÷ºÎ À̹ÌÁö : 1°³

Professor Jin Jung-Il. Photographed by Lee Arim.

By Lee Arim (alimlee96@korea.ac.kr)

A distinguished professor of Korea University (KU), Jin Jung-Il (KU-KIST Graduate School of Converging Science and Technology) has received the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Medal ¡±For the Development of Nanosciences and Nanotechnologies.¡± Many renowned scholars, including the Noble Prize winner Isamu Akasaki, received this awarded and Professor Jin is the first honorable Korean recipient. The Granite Tower (GT) had a face-to-face interview with Professor Jin, and listened to the topics of his research and opinions regarding Korean chemistry.

GT: Congratulations on being awarded the UNESCO Medal for your contribution to the development of nanoscience. Can you explain the authority of this medal?
Jin: Thank you for congratulating me. I have received many prizes and medals, but I have always thought that it is all thanks to the efforts of my disciples, who worked so hard on their researches and receiving my instructions. We usually say that the 21st century is an era of technological convergence, and nanoscience is always at the center of amalgamation. Many countries, especially the United States (U.S.), consider nanoscience as a key technology which will lead to the future, along with biotechnology and information technology. It is no exaggeration to say that nanoscience dominates every matter in science and technology. It recently became more important as technologies, which enable us to observe materials in the nano-units, greatly advanced. Thus, we are now able to study the characteristics of materials in a more micro-level and produce new goods with the new technology. UNESCO recognized the significance of nanoscience, and established the medal in 2010.

GT: What are some of your research subjects, which came to be acknowledged by other world-class scholars and institutes?
Jin: For the last forty years, I focused on three main research topics. The first one is Liquid Crystals Science, which is often utilized in Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD). I studied the structure of organic compounds, their liquid crystallinity, and their structural correlations on the molecular level. I also studied polyconjugated polymers—their electrical conductivity, magnetic properties, nonlinear optical properties, fluorescence properties, often used in Organic Light Emitting Diodes (OLED). The last topic is Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA), not in biological methods, but in terms of material science.

GT: You earned an authoritative position of Korean chemistry. What were some of the reasons you began to study chemistry and polymers?
Jin: My academic advisor, Professor Jang Se Hee of Seoul National Univeristy, said that a university in the U.S. is looking for a scholarship student. I had to choose my specific major between polymers and tempered science, but I had no idea on both as polymers did not get much attention in Korean universities. I searched through the books in the bookstore, and chose polymers. It was the most important and satisfying decision in my life and I never regret it. I hope that the young scientists can dedicate themselves in a field that does not get much attention, and pioneer through unexcavated paths. I found much interest in polymers while studying in the U.S., and got a job in the research center of a business as I thought polymers are greatly related to our everyday life. I became aware of the applications of polymers there, and started to teach in university after I came back to Korea in 1974. The research conditions of Korea were really bad at that time, but my disciples worked day and night. Now, all of them are doing important duties in universities, industries, and research centers.

GT: Reading through some of your books, such as Chemistry Stories outside the Classroom, you seem to emphasize ¡°routinization of science, and scientification of daily life.¡± Why is it important to keep in touch with science in our daily lives?
Jin: Personally, I think there is a problem with the current science education system. It fosters the notion that science is exclusive to scientists only. While many people do not like chemistry much, there is nothing in the world that is unrelated to chemistry. Oxygen is required in breathing, you need water to wash your face, and sinks are made out of ceramics. We need to drag scientific stories around us into science education. Aren¡¯t we curious about the materials surrounding us?

GT: What efforts are you planning to make to contribute to the development of Korean chemistry?
Jin: While many young professors are busy writing their thesis, I have more opportunities to face adolescents and ordinary citizens as I officially retired from university. I want to return the knowledge and experience I have earned throughout my entire life. By filling out the blanks which young people cannot cover, I want to attract more youths and the general public to chemistry. For example, by counseling elementary and middle school students, I want to raise future scholars. In addition, I have donated one hundred million won to support young scientists. I wish that the scholars of academia become more mature as I support them with what I have.

GT: What social efforts in Korea do you think are needed to make progress in science and technology?
Jin: Compared to the past, it is true that the governmental supports on scientific researches have greatly improved as science became popularized. Yet, governmental assistance towards non-governmental organizations, such as the Korean Federation of Science Culture and Education Societies, is relatively weak. Science should be seen as a part of culture. K-Pop, for example, requires a large number of advanced technologies, in stage lighting and sound. Active policies in supporting private organizations, which foster changes in social attitudes towards science, must be greatly expanded.

Ãâó : °í·Á´ëÇб³ °íÆĽº 2024-03-30 00:55:24:

»õ·Î°íħ | ¸ñ·Ïº¸±â 
´ñ±ÛÀ» ÀÛ¼ºÇÏ½Ç ¼ö ¾ø½À´Ï´Ù. (±ÇÇÑÀÌ ¾ø´Â ȸ¿ø·¹º§)
¸ñ·Ïº¸±â 
Ä·ÆÛ½ºÇÁ·»Áî | ´ëÇ¥ : ¹ÚÁ¾Âù
¼­¿ï ¼ººÏ±¸ ¾È¾Ï·Î83 5F
»ç¾÷ÀÚ µî·Ï¹øÈ£ : 391-01-00107
Åë½ÅÆǸž÷½Å°í : 2019-¼­¿ï¼ººÏ-1598
02-925-1905
e-mail : kopapa@koreapas.com
°íÆĽº ¼Ò°³ | ÀÌ¿ë¾à°ü | °³ÀÎÁ¤º¸Ãë±Þ¹æħ | ÀÌ¿ë¹®ÀÇ | FAQ